Everyone would love to own a heavy bag stand in their home. The heavy bag will help them reduce the energy and hassle of going to the boxing practice units, where you will need to pay for training. Away from boxers, some people can use these heavy bag stands when they are stressed, angry, or after a long day at work.
The main challenge with these heavy bag stands is sometimes they can be difficult to set up. As their name suggests, these bags are heavy. You may need to set them to your ceiling at home, which can be hard, especially alone. If that is the case, you will need to ensure that your ceiling is strong enough to handle the weight of your stand bag.
Most ceilings can not handle this kind of weight. You would not like to wake up in the middle of your sleep after a loud bang and realise that your new heavy bag is on your floor. Even when you want to remove the bag from your ceiling when you are moving or want it gone, it can be a real struggle. So, you need to know what you would need to ensure a smooth and safe installation of your heavy stand bag.
The good thing is, most companies are coming up with solutions for this problem, and many people are purchasing and using bag stands. But many would ask, what does the best stand bag mean? This is a free-standing structure used to support your heavy bag, making it easy to use as you will not need to do any drilling.
Luckily, many brands have been coming up with ways to get around this problem so that more and more people can have and make use of heavy bags. You will need to assemble your stand and attach your heavy bag, and you will be good to go.
Besides the inconsistency when it comes to quality of bag stands, their big size and being more expensive compared to wall brackets, boxing bag stands remain most popular and most beneficial in a home set-up gym for the following reasons:
- No mounting is required: In a situation where ceiling and walls are a concern, you would not want to mount a wall bracket for hanging a heavy bag. A bag stand will allow you to hang your heavy bag without worrying about your wall or ceiling collapsing, offering you a high-quality stand.
- You can use them to mount other boxing bags: Some boxing bag stands can be used to mount one or more other types of boxing training bags: a speed bag or/and double end bag, on your bag stand’s sides. Despite bag stands taking too much space, it will reduce the number of brackets you would have had to install on your ceiling and walls.
- Boxing bag stands are designed using sophisticated technology that can withstand powerful punches and constant heavy bag swings. They have correct alignments of beams, thick and heavy-duty frames, well-positioned legs, and a good weight to weigh down. All these properties contribute toward bag stands stability. You should consider the weight of a bag stand when purchasing one.
Table of Contents
What you need to know about heavy bag stands before buying
- Boxing stand bags are simple solutions to the traditional installation of heavy bags. You can easily and quickly assemble them, and within no time, you will be ready to go as you will not need drilling anywhere.
- The shortcoming of these bag stands is, they provide less space for hitting your heavy bag because of the stabilisers at the bottom. Although this is not a big problem, you may need to know before buying one.
- You will be required to have a smooth floor for placing your boxing bag stands to prevent wobbling and shaking. We recommend putting a rubber gym mat beneath your bag stand to increase its stability and protect your floor.
What features to check in heavy bag stands?
The following are the features you ought to check before buying a heavy bag stand:
1. Maximum weight capacity
We have established that you should consider the weight of a boxing bag stand when you are purchasing one. The higher the maximum weight, the better. It is evident that the stand has been made using heavy-duty materials and the structure itself is very stable.
Your heavy bag should be around half your weight. However, if you are stronger or bigger than average, you may need bigger equipment, requiring a more sturdy and strong bag stand.
2. How high is it? Can I adjust it to my height?
Heavy bags are available in various lengths. The most common ones range from 40 inches to 6o inches. For stands, most of them have lengths that range from 85 inches to 90 inches. These lengths will offer enough clearance to swing and good space for punching your heavy bag.
When hanging the sack on your stand’s head, its top should be about the same level as your head. This is the optimum height for practising both body and head punches. If you can adjust your stand, then the task may be easier. If not, you can tweak the length with licensor heavy bag straps.
3. Is it stable?
Like we have already said, a shaking or tilting stand ruins your workout. So, you need to have a stable stand. However, you can not prevent minimal shaking. To know if your stand is stable enough, check whether the bottom stabilisers are prolonged. If yes, it is a sign that the bag stand is stable. Also, if the bag stand is heavy, it is an indication that it has been made from strong heavy-duty materials. To enhance the stability of your stand, you may need to use weights unless your stand comes with some kind of weight, such as Outslayer. You should ensure you have plates at home. Another option could be sacks filled with sand if you do not have plates.
4. Will you have enough space?
You should be aware that a bag stand is a large structure that will require a large surface area for using and storing it. Check its footprint and add some around it to determine whether you have enough space to use it, not forgetting you will have to move around it when punching it. You should also remember the clearance of the ceiling.
5. How far from the central vertical pole does the bag hang?
This is a fundamental question for boxers who want to kick. If your heavy bag is too close to the upright bar, it will be easy to kick. A distance that is around 14 inches will be suitable, although it will depend on the diameter.
6. Does it come with extras?
Some bag stands come with additional features for installing double end or speed punching bags. With these features, you can develop extra-martial art techniques and skills.
In case you are yet to buy a punching bag, you may create your punching bag and a stand set. This DIY structure will help you save some money. But if you want to buy a punching bag, the following stands will help you install it easily without having to worry about ceiling or wall strength.
Our best heavy bag stands reviews
This is the ultimate duo bag frame. It is lightweight with an anti-wobble design, and suitable for home gyms, garages, and gardens. Whether you are a professional boxer or just want to improve your training, this stand bag will help you accomplish all you desire. It is made using heavy-duty steel for maximum weight-bearing capacity and to make it a long-lasting stand.
The frames are designed correctly to eliminate sliding and wobbling by using weight pin holders. The weight is added onto the pin, planting the hanging frame with more weight. Whether you want to train agility, speed, or power, the frames have a design that makes them offer enough reinforcement, and they can withstand impact from all kinds of hitters.
The following are the key components of this heavy bag stand:
- It is created from heavy-duty steel, which provides enough strength for your punching bags and increases durability.
- It can hold up to 120 kg of heavy bags, meaning it is a strong stand.
- The stand comes with an additional cowhide leather speedball for extra-martial art training.
- It is easy to set up. It will take you only a few minutes to assemble this stand bag.
- The stand is ideal for all heights. It is a unique stand, and you can customise the heights of the punch bag hook and speedball platform.
Why we have chosen it
This structure is an outstanding bag stand that offers you all support for your heavy bag needs without the need for drilling your ceiling or walls. Whether you are a novice or DIY enthusiast, the frames of this bag stand will take you a couple of minutes to set up, and you will be good to go. Compared to traditional stands, where you will need to survey the strength of your ceiling and walls and drilling, this free-standing stand makes installation work easier.
The strength of the frames is an area that impressed us. They can hold up to a maximum of 120 kg. We said that the heavier the punch bag, the better; you can have a bag up to 120 kg for enhanced training with this stand. What makes these frames strong is the heavy-duty material from which they are made.
This heavy bag steel has positive and negative reviews as it can not meet all trainers’ expectations. Go through all reviews or as many as possible. This way, you can make a better decision.